Organising small-scale train or road layouts, dolls houses or farms, gives children the opportunity to:
- make choices and direct outcomes;
- plan, organise and take charge;
- become skilful with their fingers, as they manipulate small objects;
- form mathematical concepts of sets, as they sort the pigs from the horses in the farm or the kitchen furniture from the bedroom furniture in the dolls house; and
- create worlds of their own, in which they can act out their present understanding of the real world.